The earliest record we have of the Shield H brand is a Bill of Sale showing that William H. Clifton, Jr. of Hat Creek, County of Niobrara and State of Wyoming, received payment of $1.00. On this date of March 20, 1954, the brand was sold, transferred, and delivered to John W. Bryant of Hat Creek, County of Niobrara and State of Wyoming.
We also have the original Brand Certificate from the State of Wyoming, Wyoming Livestock and Sanitary Board. On March 30, 1954, the Shield H brand was recorded for John W. Bryant, Hat Creek, Niobrara and recorded in Bill of Sale Record Book 18 on page 141 by then Executive Officer, G.H. Good.
We have records of the Shield H brand being renewed on the following dates:
January 10, 1956 for a $5.00 fee by John W. Bryant, Winchester Bay, OR
September 8, 1965 for a $5.00 fee by John W. Bryant, Douglas, WY
March 24, 1976 for a $5.00 fee by John W. Bryant, Riverton, WY
March 17, 1986 for a $25.00 fee by John W. Bryant, Riverton, WY
A letter dated April 11, 1979 from the Wyoming Livestock Brand Board shows that the Shield H brand was first recorded in their office on August 10, 1917. In this letter, the Wyoming Livestock Brand Board indicated that they had received a request to sell the Shield H brand from Mr. Bryant.
A Bill of Sale dated May 20, 1994 shows that Steve Husted of Riverton, County of Fremont, and State of Wyoming purchased the Shield H brand.
The location of our brand on both cattle and horses is on the left hip. We carefully freeze brand our horses, ensuring a clean, easy to read brand. Our registered black angus cattle are hot branded, also easy to locate and read. The Shield H brand has a long history, and we intend to keep it prominent in our livestock and their offspring.